Are you coming to Detroit? Good! I’ll see you there!

13 Mar

hotel

AVfM is hosting the First International Men’s Conference in Detroit on June 27th and 28th and I am super excited about it!  I will be attending the conference along with my husband and I am really looking forward to meeting all the people I regularly read or interact with on the internet in person.  The speaker line up is impressive, and I can’t wait to hear them all, but I am honestly hoping that commenters show up in droves too.  I won’t be presenting at the conference, I’m just there to listen and learn and I hope I will be surrounded by many like-minded others.

Actually, I hope we get some petulant feminist protesters, too.  That should be fun.

The speaker lineup includes Dr. Warren Farrell, author of the Myth of Male Power and he is really good at getting feminist panties tied in knots, based on a comment he allegedly made in Playboy Magazine way back in the 70s.

farrell

What did Farrell say?  Oh that sometimes incest and other forms of sexual abuse are not perceived by the victims as life-shattering and it really doesn’t help anyone to insist that people who have experienced sexual abuse are completely devastated individuals.

Ooh.  How radical.  Of course when Lara Logan suffered a sustained sexual assault reporting from Egypt she said Meh, it will take more than rape to bring me down, which is essentially saying the same thing, but she has a vagina tucked in pants, so that’s totally different.

Lara Logan refuses to let sexual assault destroy her or her life and she’s a hero.  Warren Farrell suggests that some people are not destroyed by sexual assault and he’s a rape-apologist?

Okay then.

This is why we need the damn conference in the first place.

The amazing Erin Pizzey will also be speaking in her area of expertise: intimate partner violence.  She will be joined by Robert Franklin, a lawyer who specializes in family law and advocates for shared parenting, Dr. Miles Groth, an advocate for Men’s Studies at the university level.

You can see the whole line-up here:

I anticipate it will be one hell of a conference and I personally can’t wait to hit up the hotel bar afterwards and have a few beers in person with all the people I so admire!

I’m buying!

Hope to see some of JB’s readers there!

Woo hoo!  Detroit!

9 Responses to “Are you coming to Detroit? Good! I’ll see you there!”

1. caprizchka March 13, 2014 at 16:25 #

Reblogged this on caprizchka and commented:
    In spirit.

• Spaniard March 13, 2014 at 18:24 #

Detroit too far away for me, Caprizchka.
      Where do you live, preciosa?

2. feeriker March 13, 2014 at 20:09 #

I wonder if any hotel bar is prepared to handle a gathering of MHRAs.

Wish I could make it to the conference. Would love to meet everyone!

3. The Real Peterman March 13, 2014 at 23:07 #

I can’t afford the conference but I’d love to go to an attendee meet-up.

4. Dar March 14, 2014 at 08:39 #

“Of course when Lara Logan suffered a sustained sexual assault reporting from Egypt she said Meh, it will take more than rape to bring me down, which is essentially saying the same thing, but she has a vagina tucked in pants, so that’s totally different.”

Well, I remember correctly there really wasn’t much proof of any such “sustained sexual assault” other than her word.

based on some of the stuff that happened to other reporters at that time she was likely just shoved and had stuff thrown at her for being perceived as being a trouble-maker.

5. Keanu March 14, 2014 at 21:41 #

Nice. In Chicago, might make the day trip for an intellectual weekend!

6. Mitch March 26, 2014 at 14:33 #

“based on a comment he allegedly made in Playboy Magazine way back in the 70s.”

Penthouse. December 1977, specifically. One of the few details your source (Liz Library) is accurate and even-handed with.

Farrell’s final words in the article were (paraphrasing) that he was reluctant to publish his findings on incest, for fear that morons would latch onto the “most glowingly positive cases, 6 in 200″ and use them as validation to “sexually exploit” their children. Real monster, this guy…